Sommai Phon-Amnuaisuk is the Vice President for Asia-Pacific of IIEC Asia Regional Operations, based in Bangkok, Thailand. He has over 24 years of experience in promoting and implementing Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy in Asia, Pacific Islands, APEC and Africa, primarily in the fields of Demand Side Management (DSM) and Energy Efficiency, energy standards and labelling (S&L), building energy audits, demand side management, clean energy technologies, market assessment, and industrial marketing. He has worked on projects and programs funded by the World Bank, ADB, APEC, DFID, IFC, UNF, UNDP, UNEP, USAID and the European Union. He has extensive and practical experience in design, implementation and conduct of monitoring and evaluation of energy efficient lighting projects in residential, commercial, and street and outdoor lighting sectors across Africa, Asia and the Pacific region. He has also provided technical supports to lites.asia in delivering webinars on efficient lighting design and implementation. Mr. Amnuaisuk has been involved in development of energy efficiency standards and technical specifications for lighting products (including LED), since the early stage of efficient lighting promotions worldwide. To date he has provided technical supports for implementation of EE lighting projects/programs in more than 15 countries around the world.
Countries of work experience: Cambodia, China, Egypt, Hong Kong, India, Indonesia, Lao PDR, Malaysia, Malawi, Mauritius, Mongolia, Pakistan, Philippines, Pacific Island Countries (the Cook Islands, Fiji, Papua New Guinea, Samoa, Tonga and Vanuatu) Singapore, Sri Lanka, Thailand, Vietnam
His project experience included:
- Development of a LED Street Lighting Retrofit Project for Surabaya, Indonesia – Supporting the World Bank in conducting pre-feasibility studies to evaluate LED technologies and determination of viability of a Public-Private Partnership (PPP) model; Development of an implementation plan for LED street lighting projects for Surabaya city.
- Conceptual Design for a Street Lighting System in Cairo, Egypt - Supporting UNDP Egypt in a conceptual design of LED street lighting system, and prepare technical specifications for the 6th of October city in Cairo, Egypt.
- Promoting Energy Efficiency in the Pacific – Phase II, ADB funded (2011 – 2015)
- Demand Side Management and Energy Efficiency in Lao PDR, the World Bank funded (2004 – 2015)
- Implementation of Energy Efficiency Policy Initiatives in Sri Lanka, ADB funded (2011 – 2013)
- Philippine Energy Efficiency Project, ADB funded (2010 – 2013)
- Energy Efficiency Lighting Project in Malawi, DIFD funded (2010 – 2013)
- Vietnam Energy Efficiency Public Lighting Program (VEEPL), UNDP/GEF funded (2007 – 2010)
- Philippine Efficient Lighting Market Transformation Project (PELMATP), UNDP/GEF funded (2006 – 2009)
- Efficient Lighting Initiative (ELI), IFC funded (2001 – 2006)
- ASEAN Energy Standards and Labelling program for ballast, CLASP/USAID and AGO funded – (2004 – 2005)